Heal your skin with this regenerating natural oil.
Knowing your Sea Buckthorns from your Buckthorns is berry important. Sea Buckthorn, despite its name, has nothing to do with the sea. It’s actually a thorny shrub with tiny orange berries that can be found on coastlines throughout Europe and Asia.
The only reason it was called “Sea” Buckthorn was to distinguish it from the Buckthorn, which has toxic, dark berries. Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil heals acne and is a must-have for treating damaged skin.
The science to back up why it’s more than a fad:
A study by the University of Malakand found that Sea Buckthorn contains palmitoleic acid (palm-uh-toe-lee-ic, if you want to impress your friends), which is a powerful agent in healing and treating burns and wounds. Organic Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil helps not only with burns but also regenerating cells and increasing healing in acne, scars, and burns.
There are two different kinds of Sea Buckthorn Oil. So how can you get the most out of this miracle berry?
The Difference between Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil and Fruit Oil
Natural Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil is extracted from the tiny, dark berry seeds while Sea Buckthorn Fruit Oil is from the fleshy fruit pulp. There are a few methods to extraction. We prefer cold-pressing, which crushes the seeds and forces out the oil without any heat, preserving all the nutritional benefits (much like your friend that’s into the raw food diet likes to rave about).
The best benefit of all? Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil has a nearly perfect 1:1 ratio of linoleic acid (Omega-6) and alpha linolenic acids (Omega-3). The alpha linolenic acids are known for their ability to moisturize and regenerate cells.
Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil is a rich red color, which doesn’t stain the skin. No Oompa Loompa action going on here. HOWEVER, did you know that those popular turmeric mask recipes on Pinterest actually do? Check out our blog post about it here.
How to Use Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil
All you need are a few drops of Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil. Rub onto your skin as a cleanser, pair with a Rose Water toner, or mix into a Rosehip Seed Oil moisturizer. Also apply sparingly to damaged skin. A little goes a long way!
For an in-home spa day, apply a few drops as a scalp massage treatment. Pull them through hair 20 minutes before hopping in the shower for added hair rejuvenation.
6 More Benefits of Sea Buckthorn Oil for Skin
1. UV blocker – Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil is filled with carotenoids, which aid in protection from sun damage and photoaging. We recommend you pair this oil with a natural skin protector for full benefits and protection from sun damage.
2. Moisturizer – With so many antioxidants and nutrients, this oil is a powerful emollient. It soaks deeply into your skin and makes a great nighttime moisturizer.
3. Skin disease treatment – Similar to the healing properties found with burn and wound treatment, Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil has been found to help relieve skin diseases like contact dermatitis and rosacea.
4. Slows signs of aging – With its ability to regenerate skin tissues, this oil rebuilds broken-down tissues. This will help fight and decrease fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Facial cleanser – Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil has both antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that will relieve redness in skin and help relieve skin of acne and breakouts. Especially for sensitive skin, this is a perfect addition to your oil cleansing method.
6. Scalp treatment – Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil provides relief to an itchy, irritated scalp. Carefully apply a few drops to your scalp and rub it in. Be warned: the oil won’t stain your scalp, but the same can’t be said for your clothes.
Fun Fact Alert!
Genghis Khan used Sea Buckthorn to power his armies. The berry also enhanced the vitality and appearance of their horses. It’s no coincidence that Hippophae, part of Sea Buckthorn’s botanical name, means “shiny horse.” (While Sea Buckthorn Oil can be ingested, we recommend only topical use for best results.)
Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil heals acne and is one of our many products that can help treat and moisturize your skin. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Also, make sure to check out all of the Leven Rose organic natural oils!
Real Life Review from Stef’s Edge!
Special thanks to Stef, we didn’t even know she was such a fan until we found this great video on YouTube! Thanks so much!